Saturday 29 April 2023

Commodore 128

 


My apologies for the lack of updates on this blog. I've been busy with work commitments and side gigs, as well as spending time setting up the computer lab. The lab setup has been a slow and careful process as each computer, power supply, and monitor requires recapping due to their age, typically 30 years or older.

 

To achieve this, I have been purchasing cap kits and accessories for the various hardware. While I initially had no plans to add the Commodore 128 to my collection, I stumbled upon a near-new boxed unit on eBay last year, and despite its high cost, I decided to buy it. I left it in the box with the intention of connecting it at a later date.


In March, I finally connected the Commodore 128 to my 1802 monitor and discovered that the video output was extremely faded with poor colour display. After conducting research, I found that this is a common issue with the MOS 8701 clock generator chip, which controls colour display and other functions. To fix the problem, I ordered a replacement board from Individual Computers, which also came with a crystal in case that was also faulty. Within days, the replacement board arrived, and my good friend, who is an electronics wiz, replaced all the caps. Fortunately, this fixed the issue with the video output, and it's now running without any flaws.


In addition, I've purchased some accessories for it, including a Userport Saver and an SD2IEC+ from TFW8b, as well as a RAD expansion unit from a custom builder in Canada. In a future post, I will cover these accessories in more detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment